Monday, January 24, 2011

Osmo oiling

Today is the day before moving day!  Yesterday Greg and I spent 18 hours cleaning and buffing at the house, and I am exhausted but happy.  I thought I would show you a few more pictures of the oiling process, and my next post will be from the new house as soon as I get the computers up and running!

the bare plywood
 I took these shots as Greg was oiling the wood for the floor in the loft.  He got one coat on before installation, and this was his system..

you can see how thick and sticky this stuff is.. much elbow grease is needed!
 We have used a few methods for application throughout the build, here Greg used a rag to wipe it on...


then a squeegee to wipe it off...

a clear blade works best.. black blades colour the wax 
the foreground is wiped, the background is not
After being squeegeed, the oil feels almost dry.  Really, we should probably have buffed each piece with a white rag at this point, but the sheer volume of wood we needed to oil was overwhelming.  Greg checked to make sure there were no thick spots, then stacked them to dry overnight...

the drying system.. my man is so clever
I have so many photos to show you of the finishes that have gone in!  Seeing it all come together has been so exciting, and I can't wait to show you!  Think happy moving thoughts for us!

2 comments:

David said...

Awesome work! I've long been a fan of plywood, plywood everywhere! We're doing a loft project with T1-11 (washed with diluted paint) and the polygal sheets. Appreciate what you're doing and your willingness to share!

David

mika said...

Thanks, David! I had to look up what T1-11 is (I didn't know there was a name for grooved plywood).. good luck with your project, hope you love your polygal as much as we do!