Sunday, July 17, 2011

a matter of perspective

Any of you who have built before will  understand when I say that during the course of construction, the perspective changes over time.  Usually it goes something like this...

oh my gosh it's huge... what have we done??
oh no - it's too small.. what have we done???
oh - I guess it's just right.. what was I worried about?
Then the "honeymoon" period with the house begins.  Everything is bright, shiny, and new.  Love is in the air...
...and then the house starts bugging you.  Things aren't functioning like you thought they would, and the house isn't 'perfect'.  You start beating yourself up over things you could have done differently, and complaining about things that make you crazy.  Things aren't getting done and the vision that you had in your head isn't happening.
The to-do list stares accusingly at you every day, but you just can't do one. more. thing. on. this. house.
(By the way my vision always includes the house being sparkling clean, perfectly decorated, and the kids are impeccably behaved... and wait, is that someone baking cookies for me while I curl up on the sofa with a good book?)


Building is a roller coaster ride.. one that we love, but it isn't for everybody.  In the end it's all worth it, because we get to create exactly what we want.  On the downside of that, we have no one but ourselves to blame when things don't turn out.

Work on the house this summer has been moving slow.  We are still working out the kinks inside, and things aren't perfect.  But it's exactly what we wanted, so I know if we give it a little time we'll get there.  Our perspective will change again, as we resolve some problems and cross some projects off the list.  We'll settle into our long-term relationship with the house.. the kind of love that accepts the flaws and quirks for what they are.

I will admit that for me, this process seems to get more dramatic with each house we build (this project was number 4).  I think that I get harder on myself, and my standards get higher.  
So I think I'll work on a series of posts about each room, how it is functioning, what I would do differently, and my future plans for it.  Also I'd like to update you about how our heating/cooling systems are doing as well as post on some of the little projects that are happening around here.

So, maybe I'm crazy.. but this is the process for me adjusting to a new house... how is it for you?  Am I the only one who pictures life as a magazine spread?

No comments: